2021년 2월 15일 월요일

INTERVIEW | HaeRyun

 


ARTIST INTERVIEW

Interviewer: YuJin Choi

Interviewee: Hae Ryun

Written: YuJin Choi

 

 

The dualism in art is inevitable, for it is a consequence of the dualism in humans.

One part of art subsists eternally, and this part could be seen as the soul;

the other part is prone to change, and this would be the body.

- Charles Baudelaire -

 

              This was back when I was preparing for the exhibit in Shanghai. I had a dream one night, and in it, I encountered a masterpiece painting from Hae Ryun. The work was titled The Wind Comes in a Thousand Ways. I vividly remember the moment I saw that title in my dream. The tour-de-force was not completed yet, and it seemed like the painting was trying to embody within it the entire lifetime of a person. The nature of life is such that one is forced to choose one ‘road’ out of many others, and make countless such choices throughout the course of life. Some decisions are influenced by other people or the circumstances of the moment, but some other ‘roads’ are chosen solely by the individual’s own aspirations. ‘The Wind Comes in a Thousand Ways’ seemed to visualize that journey of life. I told this story to Hae Ryun, and I was very pleased to know that she actually used the title The Wind Comes in a Thousand Ways for her work.

 

             Featuring a fantastic landscape paired by splendid colors, her work wiggles as if it were alive. Countless scenes, layered upon each other in my memory, are stacked into one image, gliding like the wind. They urge me to walk into the painting and experience every inch of that realm. In this world, a blazing wind swirls and wraps around my body every now and then. I take walks in idyllic locations, but at other times I’m forced to stand by myself in stifling loneliness, the cold-as-ice air breezing on my cheeks. And maybe, Hae Ryun is erecting a border between time and space; consciousness and unconsciousness; and truth and falsehood.  

 

Q1: The Wind Comes in a Thousand Ways, what does this mean to you?

 

A1: First, I want to say how I’m immensely indebted to you for having this dream. That title you gave me was a gift. In one of our meetings, I said: “Due to linguistic expression’s limits, words like energy and vigor cannot fully contain the things these nouns stand for, so I want to find another language that could render them.” I had provisionally named it ‘the human progress,’ but just about then, you gave me The Wind Comes in a Thousand Ways, saying that a painting you saw in your dream had that title. Yes, it was one of the many moments that influence or intervene in my life, but this one was massive.

 

When I heard those words, a wind rose in my bosom and penetrated through my heart, and it cast this image — ‘the wind is sounding.’ Wind (a physical experience), wish (a psychological sound), sounding (a physical phenomenon), and spreading (a psychological sound) all came together as one. Your words described this new amalgam so accurately, and before I realized, the words had already affixed themselves like a seal. Those words were consolations to my life and my art, encouraging everything that I am. Every now and then, I can feel certain emotions lumping in my heart like some dense, physical mass. I think this happens because I’m highly sensitive. Such sounds were dormant within me, but once you had gifted me those words, the sounds rose to the surface; and each one was marked with a seal. I wrote out the phrase ‘the wind is sounding’ on a sticky note, and once I read them with my eyes, I realized what they were saying to me: “Do what you are ought to do, and never stop doing it!”

 

The experience was a wholehearted consolation, an endless encouragement, and I promised myself that one day I would make a masterpiece that empowers others in the same way. I engraved this wish on my heart, as a destiny I must fulfill. But, how could an artwork ever recreate an experience like that? What kind of artwork does it take? When would I ever create that artwork, one truly worthy of the name ‘The Wind Comes in a Thousand Ways?’ Or, is it possible at all? The task is beyond my abilities, so if it does happen, I must have had surpassed myself. And yet, I know that progress can happen only one step at a time, and finding my identity in small, everyday life moments is the key. Each little discovery will evoke a sensation in my mind, and the sensations will become the medium that could express whatever I want to express. In terms of semantics, The Wind Comes in a Thousand Ways is an act of constant self-encouragement where one keeps telling oneself that, as long as you don’t give up, you can never fail. On the contrary, in terms of semiotics, it is an independent space coordinated on the present moment, where the inner senses are expanded into sounds.

 

Q2: “Erecting a border between time and space; consciousness and unconsciousness; and truth and falsehood.” Could you tell us more about this?

 

A2: When you first mentioned ‘the space between real and unreal,’ ‘truth and falsehood,’ and ‘erecting a border,’ I couldn’t fully grasp what they meant, and I asked you more than once to explain them again. I soon realized that your perspective was very different from mine, because you had already experienced the painting ‘The Wind Comes in a Thousand Ways’ in your dream, and it had thrust you into the circumstances of a prophet. Your perspective was something I’ve never thought of before, and the concept of ‘the space between real and unreal’ deeply intrigued me. A border in the space between real and unreal, or building such a border — I never quite saw my art in that way. I had considered myself a sailor on the ocean, and therefore I viewed things as endpoints. The sounds within my mind are part of the stream of consciousness, born from recognition, awareness, and experience, so I’m afraid that I don’t know much about the border between truth and falsehood. From my perspective, what I’m trying to do is transcend the boundary where time meets space; consciousness meets unconsciousness; the matter meets the spirit. And as I understand it, maximizing my independent space will help me get there.

 

Q3: You said, “In terms of semantics, The Wind Comes in a Thousand Ways is an act of constant self-encouragement where one keeps telling oneself that, as long as you don’t give up, you can never fail. On the contrary, in terms of semiotics, it is an independent space coordinated on the present moment, where the inner senses are expanded into sounds.” Could you explain this in detail?

 

A3: The physical world is packed with changes, nothing ever stays in one state. In this context, ‘coordinated on the present moment’ means the point in time you notice that you are alive. The mind could walk in nature because the paintbrush lets the body take the same walk as well. Big and small vibrations cause the most subtle sensations to evolve. The vibrations enable me to experience feelings and urge me to contemplate. The goal is to meet my free will, and I take this lonely journey through my inner dimensions, one that begins from here and now and spreads out in multiple directions. I travel to pasts so distant that I could never have known about them, but at the same time, I’m also moving towards the future. I call this sound because this spacetime-transcending sensory journey is limited within the artist’s psyche and that it resides in an unseeable world. That’s why I call it ‘individual space.’

 

The best way of life is different for everyone, and each individual is responsible for developing this way.

The same is true of artists. Art must express sensations, and the best way to do this is different for each artist.

Therefore, art must be capable of expression,

because an artwork is truly expressive only when it does not copy others.

- Mark Rothko -

 

             Artists are people who communicate with the world in their own special ways, each artist speaking in a language unique to his own. And visual language is a proprietary characteristic of art and is the essential feature that enables the artist to deliver his identity. But this explanation does not describe the full picture. In expressing creativity, ‘the way artist sees things’ plays a much bigger part than ‘how things look like,’ so art’s visual language perhaps helps with that insufficiency.

 

Q4: Hae Ryun, in what ways do you want to communicate with the world? Also, I want to know the way you see things.​

 

A4: Living one’s true destiny, what does that mean? I wanted to be a designer since I was young, but when I began working as a full-time designer, I gradually realized that the fashion industry’s philosophy — prioritizing external appearances — did not suit me. It all felt like the outer shell, and the thought grew stronger and stronger. Then, once I came to a certain limit, I thought, ‘I want the essence, not the shell!’ I was sure that this was the true me, and I felt absolutely no doubt about it.  

 

I’m using my own vocabulary here, so I should explain them a bit. By shell, I mean the physical world, including corporeal phenomena and appearances. Essence refers to the spiritual, like ideas or consciousness. Finding the shell involved confronting my true self, and surprisingly, I realized that I was locked down by social mores that had become a part of me, whether I liked it or not, a wall that robbed my most basic abilities such as the power to think freely. I determined that I shall free myself from the ‘past I caught within mores,’ and as a part of my declaration, I removed the family name from my name took the remainder ‘Hae Ryun’ as my artist name. ‘Haeryun Lee’ could be seen as myself of the past or the shell, and ‘Hae Ryun’ is the essence, one who cracked open the egg of the past and hatched anew.

 

I began to perceive things through the binary of essence and shell, including worldly life, desires, and death and realized that at the heart of the essence, there was just one single mind that brimmed with vigorous life. And I understood that we are able to feel alive precisely because the world isn’t a perfect structure. The essence has no corporeal form and is fluid by nature, so to show its energy of life, it has to make use of physical matters (even though these are a part of the shell.) As far as I know, art is the only field that allows free, unlimited access into one’s inner realms. And painting, in particular, the artist can proactively create a space where he could extract the mind’s lights and shadows from oblivion, contemplate on them, and experience who himself is.

 

Q5. Painting’s appeal and advantages are incomparably exceptional, you explained, and I’m sincerely impressed. “And painting, in particular, the artist can proactively create a space where he could extract the mind’s lights and shadows from oblivion, contemplate on them and experience who himself is.” Could you explain, in detail, what ‘oblivion’ and ‘the mind’s lights and shadows’ mean?

 

A5. As an artist, I see that the process of making a painting contains the human condition and the way we live life. As if I were climbing over a mountain, I often feel myself at the limit, and the feeling of the artist’s block makes me utterly lost. One time, I crossed the river of death and carefully examined the time I spent on the other side. There, the dark shadows pushed me to the edge of the cliff, but they turned themselves back to light in the window of my mind. A painting is finished only when it successfully passes through these countless inner dimensions. Life is such that time is lost at every moment we are alive, but through painting, I can meet the immaterial time passed and gone, as well as the numerous ‘I’s that had already disappeared. When I paint, I look back through the oblivion and the endless sequence within it; how one person becomes another person, how he comes from one place and goes to another place, and so on.

 

You are fated to suffer.

-Homeros

 

             ‘You are fated to suffer’ and ‘Love your Fate,’ there is some mysterious power in these dying-words-like Homer quotes. Until the very last moment of their lives, men live on by burying countless suffering and happiness within a finite amount of time. How could anyone escape this fate? At least, I strive to attain the wisdom that will let me love my fate, and I believe that this effort is the only way I could uphold my life.

 

 

Q6. Earlier, you mentioned your conclusion, “I want the essence, not the shell!” But what triggered you to express this conviction in your art? Also, of the things that uphold your life, what do you think is the most important one?

 

A6. I always enjoyed making things with my hand, and it was probably a natural course of fate that the interest towards my inner realms had led me into fine art. Solving the basic necessities, such as food, clothing, and shelter, is no doubt necessary in life, but you definitely need more than this to live. I asseverate that the pursuit of personal values is just as requisite in a person’s life, and nothing else but art could do this. We face all sorts of things in life, and they are not always happy or enjoyable. I realized that I must learn to live with those numerous unpleasant things. And when I calmed myself and accepted this fact, it helped me understand what beauty is, enabling me to make new aesthetic discoveries and gain knowledge. Art is something that could console our lonesome lives, a bright star shining amid life’s chaos and negativity, a pathfinder that could lead us to light.

 

Q7. Paul Cézanne said, “The outline and the color are not separate from each other. The outline is created simultaneously as you paint the colors. When the colors’ harmony becomes stronger, the outlines become that much more vivid. Thus, when the colors reach the pinnacle of affluence, the shapes become abundant as well.” He proved these words throughout his life with his paintings. Color and shape, what do they mean to you?

 

A7. Color and shape are organically interrelated in paintings. Color is a product of nature, so they usually cause involuntary reactions. Shapes, on the contrary, are made by men, and they produce responses on the level of consciousness. The respective properties of color and shape are orchestrated together in a variation, and each of them generates different sounds. This interrelation results in synesthesia. The leading color affects other elements behind it, and the following line influences other lines that intersect with it. They are distanced and different from each other, but that diversity creates vibration and movement. Amid deafening collisions and intricate interactions, reminiscent of those at the birth of the universe, the moment comes when the circumstances arrive at the state of an optimal composite, and then it begins to beat like the heart of a living organism.

 

Q8. Now, I’d like to discuss your practice in detail. In 2015 you won a residency at the Ottchil Art Museum (OAM), and this introduced you to a new medium, Ottchil.[1] Has this experience influenced you in any significant way? Also, will Ottchil continue to be a part of your future works?

 

A8. The Ottchil Art Residence Program includes an academy curriculum, so the residency artists can learn the details of the Ottchil technique and practice in a structured manner. The curriculum covers every stage of making Ottchil lacquerware as well as the origin and history of Ottchil, so beyond learning the technical details of Ottchil, I was able to experience the spirit of Korean ancestors and their sincerity in handling Ottchil (a physical material). The contemporary art program I had majored was based on Western art history, so the experience at the OAM astonished me. There, I was able to travel backward in time and connect with the past, an experience I could not have anywhere else. Another reason for that time-travel feeling was the fact that I shared studio spaces with Sungsoo Kim, the Director of the OAM who worked with Ottchil for his entire life, as well as many other senior artists. It felt as if I was the apprentice of a craft guild. Once, I met a native English-speaking teacher who taught English to Koreans, and he said: “I’ve always believed that the power of thought was all that you needed to speak a language, but when I learned the Korean language it opened me to new ways of thinking that I could have never experienced otherwise.” Studying mother-of-pearl inlay[2] and Ottchil required in-depth research of each medium’s materiality, and that helped me develop a sophisticated understanding of painting materials. And spontaneously, my interest in nature grew stronger. In the early stages of learning Ottchil, I approached it like a painting medium and handled Ottchil in painterly ways. But the more I worked with it, I was reminded of the fact that each material vibrates at its own frequency, and I thought I might be neglecting the physical properties unique to Ottchil. I realized that I needed to do some systematic, preliminary research before introducing Ottchil to my works, so I’ve limited myself to painting practices for the moment. I don’t think I’m ready to step up to the next level yet. When I’m ready, then I’ll introduce changes to my art mediums. Also, since Ottchil is a lacquering process, it demands large amounts of time, not just from my physical body but from my mind as well. So I must brace myself for long turnaround cycles.

 

Q9. You presented installations in your Angel’s Share series, and some of these elements were elaborated in your paintings. Could you introduce them to us? Also, I’d like to know if the phrase ‘Angel’s Share’ has any special meanings for you.

 

A9. Human life isn’t always about fulfillment. There are moments of loss like death, breakups, and other hardships and sufferings that fill you with pain and meaninglessness. At one point, I was fully absorbed in this idea, and it gave birth to the Angel's Share Garden project, where I made a garden of mothballs, a solid that turns directly into vapor. I chose a location, and I planted numerous pillars of naphthalene balls into dying big trees. Naphthalene visualized an act of conscious purification, and I installed them at the border of death; in this case, trees that were about to die. In addition to the act of making the garden, it took very long for the mothballs to disappear, in fact, a full change of season. I perceived their evaporation, observed the trees progressing into death, and the time of introspection enlightened me to the meanings of ‘loss’ and ‘gain.’

 

 A few years have passed since then, and one day I looked back at those trees supporting each other in the shape of a crowd and obstructing the sky, and the memories of working on Angel's Share Garden evoked strong emotions and sentiments within me. The physical entity of the Angel's Share Garden no longer exists, but parts of the garden have been converted into sensations within my mind, and they allowed me to ruminate on the ‘time of loss’ and the ‘loss of time.’

 

 ‘Angel’s share’ is an indispensable step in making top-quality wine. Due to evaporation, a portion of the wine is lost during the aging process, and winemakers say that the angel came by and drank that amount away, thus giving the beautiful phrase ‘angel’s share.’ We come across numerous ‘time of loss’ and ‘loss of time’ during our lives, but perhaps these amounts are set aside so that we could rediscover the beauty in our lives.

 

Q10. Have you started any new projects since 2018? If yes, could you introduce them to us?

 

A10. Symptoms of depression are widespread in modern society, often causing hopelessness and lack of motivation. I could not evade this contemporaneous fate, so the profound question of ‘why do we exist?’ pained my mind at length. But scenes of nature, even the plain and ordinary ones, never found it necessary to justify their existence. They never changed and just kept on emitting the sound of life, the faint noises of life’s inhalations and exhalations. They seemed to be the most natural, the most artistic being in existence.

 

 I begin my painting from the sceneries I find in everyday life. When I work, I do not have a specific design in mind; rather, I become a lone wanderer who follows nature’s movements and captures the traces of inner sounds within the stream of consciousness. Emotions and materials (color and shape) rise within my mind, transmit sensations that are intertwined and delivered to my inner realms, and these sounds allow me to feel a sensory evolution that transcends the boundaries of spacetime.

 

At a certain point, the events on the canvas engage my vision, and the strongest sensory actions among them are expressed in words. An internalization process takes place between the sense of sight and the language; language is what turns unconsciousness into conscious thoughts, so this process can be seen as a gateway that materializes the non-linguistic senses. Sounds rise in my mind when I look into a canvas, they gravitate to each other, and I decide a title (or a placeholder title), which becomes the gateway that leads to the completion of my work. I always thought that I should follow the sound that intrigues me the most, and that might have resulted in me developing this gateway of visualization process. Up to now, I sourced my work from the passing of the seasons because I wanted to give some consistency to my starting points. In future works, I hope to take a step forward and interweave all four seasons in one canvas.

 

To My Dear Friend Paul,

People who have fond memories are happy,

and Paul, you are my youth.

When I look back, you were there

in every moment of my joys and sorrows.

This writing is dedicated to no one else but you.

- Émile Zola -

 

             As you could see in Émile Zola’s letter, it is an immense fortune to have a lifelong friend who could exchange influences back and forth with you. Even if that friendship ends in unhappiness, having had one is meaningful enough in itself. And it must be noted that such relationships are crucial to an artist’s life. Through such relationships, artists pass influences to each other and share the secret tunnels that lead to the meaning of life. Namely, Émile Zola and Paul Cézanne; Man Ray and Marcel Duchamp; Luis Bunuel and Salvador Dali are some of the great friendships in the history of art. They recognized each other’s talent before anyone else did and shared many happy memories. Their serendipitous friendships serve as invaluable legacies to subsequent generations. Ruminating on Zola’s letter to Cézanne, I naturally begin reminiscing such friendships in my life.

 

Q11. Were there specific individuals or events that gave you strong artistic inspirations? Also, in regards to your painterly expressions, which artist influenced you the most?

 

A11. I have always enjoyed all forms of art, and art was something that allowed me to probe my own mind. So I assume that I was collecting inspirations all along — various unique sentiments as well as styles of expression. I read Albert Camus’ The Stranger when I was a teenager, and the shocks of its absurdism lasted for some time. In my twenties, Rainer Maria Rilke’s Letters to a Young Poet gave me the passion to keep on researching my inner realms. After working on the installation, Angel's Share Garden, I read Amos Ih Tiao Chang’s book The Tao of Architecture. Implementing the glass-half-full perspective in actual life is not a task to be taken lightly. But the time I spent with this book made it possible.

 

 Many artworks touched me in my life, but my favorite would be SeungTaek Lee’s Wind series. The wind is something that the eyes cannot see. The Wind installation is about making the wind visible, and many men must desperately hold onto enormous red fabric pieces and bear the burden of wind’s resistance. The sentiments of the Wind series overlap with the Ottchil’s materiality, so in Full Moon, one of my Ottchil pieces, I paid homage to the series.

 

 From the very start, I was interested in perceiving things from a self-sustaining, internally fueled viewpoint, so I was interested in disassembly and re-arrangeable expressions that subverted conventional forms. One characteristic of cubism is that it crams multiple viewpoints of the same object into one work. Of the many artworks that feature this trait, my absolute favorite is David Hockney’s photo collages where numerous photographs, each shot from a different viewpoint, are cropped and pasted together. There, the borders between the photos defy all formal restrictions, giving limitless plasticity to the viewer’s consciousness and the freedom to see objects in every possible angle. Afterward, I was influenced by Fred Sandback and Julie Mehretu’s artworks, how they used visual elements to express lines and surfaces. I’ve never seen Sandback’s Lines series before a professor mentioned him during his class, so that first encounter was free from all interruptions, and I had the chance to observe his artworks solely through my inner senses. Sandback’s lines showed me that it was possible to open a new realm from anything (or any scene) I was looking at, and that was a space of endless possibilities that did not need any narrative. Others would not necessarily see it this way, but for me, his lines functioned like an invisible portal. Then, later on, Mehretu’s works proved to me that it was possible to create a space of motion using just flat surfaces and lines, by pairing a surface with another surface; a line with a surface; or a line with another line. She stays within the flatness of a two-dimensional medium, but her composition, made of lines and surfaces, manages to jump beyond the limits of physics and expand outwards. As to the concept of infinity found in a geometric point, I encountered it when I was working on Angel’s Share.

 

 Recently, this thought finally caught up with me: ‘I never quite realized it before, but I’ve been severely indebted to Wassily Kandinsky all along the way!’ So I looked into his art and his writings. Concerning the Spiritual in Art explains that every artist has certain aspects which are already causal to his soul, and the artwork is created when these instances of inner causality act upon the outer world. I sympathized with many parts of this book. And after reading it, I saw depths of sophistication from his work, which I could not see before. I am truly grateful to him.

 

​I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately,

to front only the essential facts of life,

and see if I could not learn what it had to teach,

and not, when I came to die,

discover that I had not lived.

- Henry David Thoreau -

 

             Thoreau went into the woods because he wished to live deliberately. I, too, chose to live a life where I could indefinitely indulge in works of art, meeting all the new works as they come. I cannot call myself young anymore, and seeing how the life I’ve walked is paved with my deeds, it utterly breaks my heart. I try to console myself by saying, ‘At least I’ve made it this far,’ but honestly, I know that I’ve spent much more time astray. And of them all, the pangs of misery devoured my body and soul in an instant like a surging rapid, and it visited me regularly like a rapid would do. But times of suffering will always follow me around, and since I am bound to the fate of a peculiar time traveler who can never stop moving from the past to the future, I want to give myself the gift of paused time — a much-needed relief.

And by ‘paused time,’ I mean a special period of time where the scene in front of me captivates more than just my vision, and demands me to use every bit of my deepest reasonings. Only art could give this kind of relief, nothing else.

 

 

Q12. Your future work plans always fascinate me. In particular, ‘interweaving all four seasons in one canvas’ is exactly the kind of end result that only paintings could achieve.

It’s as if you were trying to demonstrate that a painting can justify its raison d’être solely as an expression of the senses. This four-seasons painting could evidence how crucial the artist’s unconsciousness is in works that extract shapes from representational objects. Of course, your artworks simultaneously express the painterly trends of both modernism and postmodernism, and this makes them never easy to understand. But at the same time, this is precisely why I can feel your experimental spirit and unyielding courage. It excites me, and it makes me support and encourage your future.

This will be my last question. A painter is an artist who experiences life through paintings. In that sense, what is it like to live as a painter? And does this type of lifestyle channel into your paintings?​

 

A12. My artistic practice began as I tried to answer the question, ‘What meanings and values are essential to life?’ So when my psychological-self matured, it became the foundation upon which I grew better understandings of both myself and what the world is about. A life lived through artistic practice, for me, was the key that unlocked a door of secrets. Painting restored me the ability to experience time and space through my mind, and it allowed me to meet the god residing within me. In the same way, a person’s world operates from the point of origin within him, the singular mind. One must face all sorts of negativities in the world, but that one and only mind inside each person is what makes it possible to convert a moment of serendipity into a destiny.

 

An artist and his artworks are always related in some way, and the relationship inevitably puts burdens on the artist’s mind. I assume this is the original sin that all creative individuals must bear, similar to how parents could never entirely stop caring about their children, a love that only dies when the parents’ breathe their last breath. The dreams, freedoms, and gifts that an artist enjoys in his life are built by no one but the artist himself, and that’s why it’s impossible for anyone else to fix or resolve them. The artist shoulders the burden by his own choice and will, and without being responsible for those burdens, he will never make it through the door of life. Were I the captain of a ship sailing on the world, my works and creations — for me, mostly paintings — would be the sail. Paintings let me embark beyond the storehouse of my inner self, show me the directions, catch the wind, and propel the ship through the boundless oceans.■

 



[1] Ottchil is a lacquering technique traditional to Korea, where the resin of lacquer tree (Toxicodendron vernicifluum) is used to coat various woodcraft items, Previously, the tradition was limited to wooden household items, but in recent years, contemporary artists have introduced the technique in their practices.

[2] In Korean customs, Ottchil is often accompanied by mother-of-pearl inlay. Najeon is the name for this traditional technique of inlaying mother-of-pearl into Ottchil-lacquered surfaces.

 



ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ


아티스트 인터뷰

질문-최유진

답변-해 련

최유진 글



 

예술의 이중성은 인간의 이중성에서 비롯된 피치 못할 결과물이다.

영원히 존속되는 부분을 예술의 넋으로,

변화하는 부분을 그 몸으로 생각해보는 것도 좋으리라.

- 샤를 보들레르(Charles Baudelaire) -

 

 

2018년 상하이 전시를 준비할 당시 나는 해 련 작가의 대작을 꿈속에서 만났다. 그리고 그 작품의 제목천 겹의 바람길을 선명하게 기억한다. 미완의 대작은 마치 한 사람의 삶을 온전히 담으려 하는 것 같았다. 인간은 살아가는 동안 수많은 '' 앞에서 선택을 해야 한다. ''은 때로는 타인이나 환경의 영향을 받기도 하고, 온전히 자신의 의지에 의해 선택되기도 한다. 그러한 삶의 여정을 '천 겹의 바람길'은 보여주는 것 같다. 해 련 작가는 감사하게도 이 이야기를 듣고 작품 제목에 실제로천 겹의 바람길을 사용해 주었다.

 

그녀의 작품은 환상적인 풍경과 화려한 색채로 살아서 꿈틀거린다. 기억 속 켜켜이 등장하는 수많은 장면들이 하나의 상으로 겹쳐져 바람처럼 그 사이사이를 스치고 지나간다. 마치 작품 속으로 걸어 들어가 온전히 그 곳을 느끼고 싶게 만든다. 때로는 뜨거운 바람이 소용돌이치며 내 온 몸을 감싸기도 하고, 한가로운 곳에서 가뿐한 발걸음으로 산책도 하고, 얼음처럼 차가운 공기를 뺨에 스치며 먹먹히 홀로 서있게도 한다. 어쩌면 그녀의 작품은 시간과 공간, 의식과 무의식, 진실과 허구가 만나는 지점에 경계를 표현하는 것은 아닐까 생각한다.

 

 

Q1:천 겹의 바람길은 작가에게 어떤 의미인가요?

 

A1: 우선은 꿈을 꿔주신 선생님께 무한 감사의 말을 전하고 싶습니다. 그것은 제게 선물이었습니다. 저는 언젠가 선생님과의 미팅에서 에너지와 기운과 같은 언어를, 언어 표현이 주는 한계 때문에, 다른 언어로 찾고 싶다고 이야기를 한 적이 있었습니다. 그것에 대해 인간의 행보라 사용하고 있을 쯤, 선생님께서 꿈에 나온 작품의 제목이라며,천 겹의 바람길을 주셨습니다. 저의 삶에 일어나는 수많은 영향과 개입의 한 순간이자, 아주 큰 영향을 주는 일이 된 셈이지요.

 

그 언어를 듣자마자, 실제로 가슴에 바람이 일어나 저를 관통하며 지나갔었는데, ‘바람이 울린다.’라는 상이 맺혔습니다. ‘바람’­wind(물리적 체험)/ wish(내면적 소리)울린다’­sound(물리적 요소)/ spread(내면의 소리)가 합일치 되면서 언어의 꼬리표가 명확하게 달라붙었습니다. 저의 삶과 예술에 대해 위로와 격려하는 언어였던 것입니다. 예민한 탓인지 가슴에 어떤 감각들이 극심하게 맺히는 것을 종종 경험하는데, 잠재하고 있었던 내면의 소리들이 선물 받은 언어를 통해 수면위로 드러나 꼬리표가 달라붙어 나온 것입니다. 메모지에 바람이 울린다.’라는 표현을 적어놓자 너는 너의 할 일을 끊임없이 해라!’라는 것을 알아차렸습니다.

 

제가 경험한 것과 같이, 힘찬 위로와 끊임없는 격려가 되는 마스터피스를 만들 수 있지 않을까 하고 숙명처럼 가슴에 새겨 넣었는데, 그런데 말이죠, 대체, 그것은, 어떤 작품으로 가능 한 걸까요? 나는 언제, ‘천 겹의 바람길이라고 말할 수 있는 단 하나의 작품을 완성할까요? 과연 가능할까요? 아무래도 제 능력을 초월해야 할 것 같습니다. 그럼에도 불구하고 작은 일상에서 저의 주체를 찾고 한걸음씩 나아가야한다는 것을 알고 있습니다. 작은 발견 속에 일어나는 내면의 감각들이 메시지가 되어 원하는 만큼 발현 될 것이라 생각합니다. 천 겹의 바람길은 의미적으로는 스스로 포기하지 않으면 실패하는 것이 아니라고 끊임없이 자신에게 말해주는 것이고, 내용적으로는 현재의 지점에서 내면의 감각을 소리로 확장하고 있는 개별공간인 셈입니다.

 

Q2: “시간과 공간, 의식과 무의식, 진실과 허구가 만나는 지점에 경계를 표현한다.” 이 말에 대해 어떻게 생각하시나요?

 

A2: ‘허실공간’, ‘진실과 허구’, ‘경계를 짓는다라는 말이 어려워, 선생님께 재차 설명을 부탁드렸지요. 이미 꿈속에서 천 겹의 바람길이라는 한 작품을 선지자적 위치에서 경험하신 선생님께서 저와는 다른 관점에 있다는 것을 알게 되었습니다. 저로써는 전혀 생각지 못한 관점이었기에 허실공간이 상당히 흥미로웠습니다. 저는 허실공간에 경계를 짓는다고 생각하기보다는 항해를 하고 있어 지표라고 바라보고 있었던 것 같습니다. 내면에서 일어나는 소리는 의식의 흐름 속에서 인식과 지각, 체험으로 형성 되는 것이라 진실과 허구가 만나는 지점에 대한 부분은 잘 모르겠습니다. 저의 관점에서는 시간과 공간, 의식과 무의식, 물질과 정신이 만나는 지점의 경계를 넘어서기 위해 개별공간을 최대치로 확장하려고 하는 것이라고 말할 수 있을 것 같습니다.

 

Q3: “천 겹의 바람길은 의미적으로는 스스로 포기하지 않으면 실패하는 것이 아니라고 끊임없이 자신에게 말해주는 것이고, 내용적으로는 현재의 지점에서 내면의 감각을 소리로 확장하고 있는 개별공간인 셈입니다.”라고 말한 의미를 자세히 설명해 주세요.

 

A3: 고정 되어 있지 않은 변화 가득한 물리적 상황에서 현재의 지점은 살아있음을 의식하는 지금 이 순간을 말합니다. 마음의 경험 뿐 아니라 몸 또한 붓을 통한 자연의 산책자가 됩니다. 크고 작은 진동으로부터 미세한 감각들은 진화를 하고, 느낌을 체험하고 사색하게 됩니다. 고독한 길에 자유 의지를 만나는 내면의 여정은 현재의 자리에서 제가 전혀 알지 못하는 아주 먼 과거로 이동하고 동시에 미래로 나아가는 방향성으로 퍼집니다. 저는 이것을 소리라고 표현하고 있는데, 이 시공을 초월하는 감각의 여정이 창작자 내부에서만 일어나는 한계이자, 보이지 않는 세계에 머물러 있음을 의식하고 있습니다. 그 때문에 개별 공간이라고 말하게 됩니다.

 

 

모든 개인들이 자기만의 삶으로 피어나야 하는 것처럼,

감각의 예술과 자기기만의 예술로 피어나야 한다.

그러니 예술은 표현적일 수 있어야 한다.

예술 작품은 타인을 모방하는 것이 아닐 때 표현적이라 불릴 수 있기 때문이다.

마크 로스코(Mark Rothko) -

 

 

예술가는 세상과 소통하는 방식과 표현의 언어가 특별한 사람들이다. 미술의 고유한 시각적 언어는 이러한 특별함을 담아내는 중요한 요소이지만 그것만으로는 설명이 부족할 수 있다. 아마도 예술가에게 사물은 어떻게 보이느냐가 아니라 어떻게 보느냐가 표현에 있어서 중요한 작용을 하기 때문에 그 부족한 부분을 채워주는 것이 아닐까 생각한다.

 

Q4: 해 련 작가는 세상과 어떻게 소통하기를 원하는지 궁금하고, 어떠한 관점으로 사물을 바라보는지 알고 싶습니다.

 

A4: 자신의 모습으로 살아간다는 것은 무엇일까요? 어릴 적부터 원했던 디자이너로 취업을 하였는데, 외형의 요소들이 중요한 패션기업의 일은 점차 저와 맞지 않다는 사실을 알게 되었고 그것은 빈껍데기를 이루는 것이라는 생각이 강하게 들기 시작했습니다. 어느 한계에 다다르자, ‘껍데기가 아닌 알맹이를 찾아야겠다!’ 라고 생각을 했고 그것이 저 자신으로 살아가는 것이라는 확신이 들었습니다.

 

제 관념에 있는 용어라 좀 설명해보자면, 껍데기는 현상이나 현실의 모습과 같은 물질이고 알맹이는 의미, 의식과 같은 정신이라고 볼 수 있을 것 같습니다. 알맹이를 찾는 것은 저 자신을 마주하는 것이었지만, 알게 모르게 습득해왔던 관습에 갇혀 의식의 사고조차 자유롭지 못하는 벽을 느낄 수 있었어요. 그로인해 기존의 관념에 있는 나로부터 벗어나겠다는 표출로 성을 붙이지 않고 이름만 사용하는 필명을 사용하게 되었습니다. ‘이해련은 과거이자, 껍데기인 저로 본다면, 해 련은 과거의 알을 깨고 나온 알맹이의 저라고 말할 수 있을 것 같습니다.

 

껍데기와 알맹이라는 기준으로 견주며 세상의 삶­욕망­죽음을 바라보니, 알맹이의 근원에는 생동하는 단 하나의 마음이 있다는 것을 알게 되었습니다. 그리고 세상의 구조가 완전하지 않기에 우리는 살아있음을 느끼는 것이었습니다. 알맹이는 실체를 가지고 있지 않고 유동적이라 살아있다는 것을 드러내기 위해서 껍데기인 물질들을 이용하게 됩니다. 내적 세계의 자유통로는 예술에서만 가능하다고 보고 있는데, 그 중에서 회화는 사라진 시간 속에 간직하고 있는 마음의 빛 또는 그림자를 비추어 반추하는 공간을 주체적으로 만들어 자신을 경험 할 수 있다고 생각합니다.

 

Q5. 회화가 가지고 있는 엄청난 매력과 장점에 대해서 설명해 주신 부분이 인상적입니다. “회화는 사라진 시간 속에 간직하고 있는 마음의 빛 또는 그림자를 비추어 반추하는 공간을 주체적으로 만들어 자신을 경험 할 수 있다라는 말에서 특별히 작가에게 사라진 시간’, ‘마음의 빛 또는 그림자의 의미는 무엇인지 좀 더 구체적으로 설명해주세요.

 

A5. 그림을 그리는 과정에서 삶을 살아가는 인간의 모습을 보게 됩니다. 하나의 산을 넘는 것처럼 한계에 부딪히고 수차례 막막함에 서성이는 순간이 생깁니다. 죽음의 강을 건너 그 시간을 유심히 바라본 적이 있는데, 나를 벼랑으로 내몰았던 어둠의 그림자들은 마음의 창에서 다시금 빛이 됩니다. 이처럼 무수한 내면의 공간을 통과하고서 하나의 그림은 끝이 납니다. 삶은 매순간 시간의 상실 속에 있지만, 그림은, 실체 없이 지나간 시간과 사라진 나를 마주할 수 있게 됩니다. 그림을 그릴 때 그 사람이 아닌 다른 사람이 되어 어디서부터 왔고 어디로 가는지 꼬리를 물며 이어지는 사라진 시간을 다시 돌아보게 됩니다.

 


당신은 고통을 당할 운명을 가지고 태어난 사람이다.

-호메로스(Homeros)

 

 

당신은 고통을 당할 운명을 가지고 태어난 사람이다.’ 그리고 운명을 사랑하라.’고 말하는 호메로스의 유언과도 같은 말에는 신비한 힘이 배어 있는 것 같다. 인간은 생이 다하는 순간까지 수 없이 반복되는 고통과 행복을 유한한 시간 속에 묻고 살아간다. 누구도 이러한 운명에 자유로울 수 없지 않는가? 나는 다만 운명을 사랑할 수 있는 지혜를 구하는 노력만이 내 삶을 지탱하는 유일한 길이라 믿고 있다.

 

 

Q6. ‘껍데기가 아닌 알맹이를 찾아야겠다!’라는 신념을 미술을 통해서 표현해야겠다고 생각하게 된 계기가 있었나요? 더불어 자신의 삶을 지탱하는 가장 중요한 요소는 무엇이라 생각하세요?

 

A6. 손으로 무언가를 만들어 내는 일에 늘 흥미가 있었기 때문에 근원적 내면에 대한 관심이 순수 미술로 접근되었던 것은 지극히 자연스러운 과정이 아니었을까 생각합니다. 삶은 의식주 해결 외에 가치 추구를 위한 어떤 것이 분명히 필요한데 저는 그것을 예술이라고 단언합니다. 우리가 살아가면서 마주해야하는 것들이 늘 행복하거나 기쁜 일들은 아닙니다. 그렇지 못한 수많은 것들과 항상 함께 가야하더군요. 마음을 더듬고 아름다움에 대한 새로운 발견과 배움을 얻을 수 있습니다. 예술은 우리의 고독한 삶을 껴안아 주는 위로가 되고, 혼탁한 현실의 삶 그 부정성 속에 반짝이는 별이자 빛으로 가는 길잡이가 됩니다.

 

Q7. 세잔(Paul Cézanne)윤곽선과 색채는 분리되어 있지 않다. 색은 칠함에 따라 윤곽선이 함께 이루어지는 것이다. 색채가 서로 조화를 이루면 이룰수록 윤곽선은 더욱 명확해 진다. , 색채가 가장 풍부해질 때, 그 형태 역시 충만해 지는 것이다.”라는 자신의 말을 평생 그림을 통해서 증명했습니다. 해 련 작가에게 색과 형태는 어떤 의미인지 궁금합니다.

 

A7. 회화에서 색채와 형태는 떼어놓을 수 없는 유기적 상황관계의 구조를 이루고 있는데, 색은 자연으로부터 온 산물이고 형태는 인간으로 부터 창조되어 왔습니다. 이러한 연유로 색채는 무의식적인 반응이 쉬이 일어나고, 상대적으로 형태는 의식적 반응을 가지게 됩니다. 색과 형태의 상호조건의 변주 속에서 다른 소리를 발현 하게 됩니다. 이 관계에서 일어나는 감각의 전이가 있습니다. 앞의 색은 뒤에 영향을 주고 뒤에 올라온 선은 다음의 점에 의해 서로에게 영향을 주며 간극의 차이 속에서 진동과 움직임을 만들어냅니다. 우주가 탄생하듯 요란한 충돌과 민감한 상호작용 속에서 가장 적절한 복합적 상태가 되었을 때 생명체 같은 고동소리가 일어납니다.

 

Q8. 이제 작업이야기를 조금 더 깊게 나누어 보겠습니다. 지난 2015년 통영옻칠미술관 레지던시에 입주 작가로 선정되어 옻칠이라는 새로운 재료를 접하면서 크게 변화한 부분이 있었는지 궁금합니다. 앞으로의 작업에 옻칠을 지속적으로 적용할지에 대한 여부도 알려주세요.

 

A8. 통영옻칠미술관 레지던시는 아카데미 과정과 함께 진행되기 때문에 옻칠의 실기를 체계적으로 접할 수 있습니다. 옻칠의 기원은 물론 수지를 채취하는 과정에서부터 작업의 전 과정을 모두 다루다 보니 기술적 방법을 넘어 미처 경험하지 못했던 옻칠(물질)을 대하는 선조들의 정신을 경험할 수 있었습니다. 서양미술사 바탕의 현대미술을 전공한 탓에 이전에는 느끼지 못한 생경한 경험이었습니다. 시간을 거슬러 그동안 닿지 않았던 과거로 통하는 시간이었습니다. 더불어 평생 옻칠만 다루신 관장님과 연배가 있으신 선생님들과 스튜디오를 공유하는 과정에서, 예전의 장인들처럼 한 공간에서 보고 들으며 몸으로 배우는 것이 많았기 때문에 그랬을지도 모르겠습니다. 어느 외국어 강사가 말하길, “생각만으로 언어를 구사한다고 생각했는데, 한국어는 본인이 미처 닿지 못했던 사고를 경험 할 수 있게 해주었다.”라고 말을 하더군요. 나전과 옻칠이라는 물성에 대한 이해로부터 페인팅 재료에 대한 깊은 이해가 생겼고 자연스럽게 자연에 대한 관심이 깊어지게 된 계기가 되었습니다. 옻칠을 다루는 초반에는 단순히 회화의 표현 매체의 확장성에서 접근하여 작업을 하였습니다. 작업을 할수록, 물성마다 각자의 울림이 있다는 것을 놓치고 있다는 생각이 들었습니다. 작업 연구를 위한 순차적 과정이 필요하다 여겨져 현재는 회화 작업에 몰입을 할 예정입니다. 다음의 단계가 되어야만, 본격적으로 표현 매체의 변화를 가질 수 있을 것 같습니다. 또한 옻칠 작업은 몸과 마음의 시간을 많이 필요로 하기에 긴 호흡의 과정을 염두하고 있습니다.

 

Q9. 천사의 몫시리즈를 통해서 설치작품도 선보였고, 이를 회화로도 확장하여 작업했었는데 그 내용에 대해서 소개해 주세요. 특별히 작가에게 천사의 몫이란 어떤 의미였는지도 궁금합니다.

 

A9. 우리의 삶은 늘 채워지는 것이 아닌, 죽음과 이별, 역경과 같은 시련을 통해 아픔이나 허무를 느끼는 상실의 시간들이 있습니다. 잃음의 순간에 대한 생각으로 가득 차 있을 때 죽어가는 거대한 나무에 고체에서 기체로 변화를 거치는 나프탈렌을 심어 정원을 만드는 Angel's Share Garden프로젝트를 시작했습니다. ‘나프탈렌은 나무의 죽음이라는 경계에서 의식적인 정화작용의 매개체로 가시화한 설치 작업입니다. 정원을 만드는 행위와 더불어 계절이 바뀌는 긴 시간동안 나프탈렌의 사라짐과 더불어 나무의 죽음에 대한 변화를 바라보며 잃음얻음이라는 의미에 대해 깨달음을 얻는 내면의 시간을 가질 수 있었습니다.

 

몇 년이 지난 어느 날, 하늘을 시커멓게 매우며 서로에게 엉켜 지탱하고 있던 나무들을 보자 Angel's Share Garden의 지난 여정으로부터 진한 감동과 여운을 가지게 되었습니다. 현존하는 정원은 사라졌지만, 내면의 감각으로 전이됨은 상실의 시간과 더불어 시간의 상실에 대해서 다시 생각할 수 있게 되었습니다.

 

천사의 몫(Angel's Share)’란 좋은 와인을 만들기 위한 하나의 과정으로 와인을 숙성시키는 과정에 일정량의 와인이 공기 중에 증발되는 것을 말합니다. 사라진 와인의 양을 천사가 와서 먹었다고 하여 이처럼 아름답게 표현한다고 합니다. 우리의 인생에 존재하는 상실의 시간그리고 시간의 상실마저도 아름다움의 재발견을 위한 몫이 아닐까 합니다.

 

Q10. 2018년부터 현재까지 새롭게 진행하고 있는 작업이 있다면 소개해 주세요.

 

A10. 현대인에게 흔한 우울 증세는 공허감과 무기력을 동반합니다. 본인에게 있어서도 피할 수 없는 문제였기 때문에, 기나긴 시간동안 내면에서는 살아있다는 것에 대한 파고드는 질문이 있었습니다. 특별하지도 않고 별다를 것 없는 자연의 모습은 삶에 대한 당위성 따위를 필요로 하지 않고 변함없이 우리 곁에서 생명의 숨소리를 전하고 있었습니다. 그것이 삶을 드러내는 가장 자연스러운 예술적인 존재로 보였습니다.

 

일상에서 만난 풍경에서 작업을 시작하는데 구체적 형상을 계획하며 작업이 이루어지는 것은 아니고, 고독한 산책자가 되어 자연의 움직임을 쫒아가다 의식의 흐름에 따라 내면의 소리가 맞닿는 흔적을 그립니다. 마음에서 일어나는 느낌과 물질(색과 형태)을 통해 전해지는 감각은 서로 얽혀 내면으로 전해지는데 그 소리에서 시공의 경계를 넘는 감각의 진화를 느끼게 됩니다.

 

어느 순간이 되면, 화면에서 이루어지고 있는 것들이 본인의 시각에 닿아 가장 강하게 끌리는 감각의 작용에서 언어로 표출화 되는 과정을 거치게 됩니다. 시각과 언어 사이에 내면화 작용이 일어나는데 언어라는 것은 무의식에서 의식화 시켜주는 작용을 하기 때문에 비언어적 감각들을 좀 더 구체화 시켜주는 통로의 역할을 하는 것이라 볼 수 있습니다. 내가 마주하고 있는 캔버스 앞에서 내 마음에 일어나는 소리는 서로를 잡아당기는 작용을 하는 중에 작품 제목(가제)이 정해지고 그 통로를 향해 작업이 마무리 되어지는 것이죠. 가장 강하게 끌리는 소리의 흔적을 따라 가야한다는 의식이 있었고 그러다 보니 이러한 구체화 과정의 통로를 거치게 된 것 같습니다. 지금까지는 시작점으로서의 어떤 기준을 잡고자 계절에 순응하며 작업을 진행시켜 왔습니다. 앞으로는 한 단계 나아가 화면에 사계를 복합적으로 담아내는 작업에 대한 계획을 가지고 있습니다.

 

 

나의 벗 폴에게

추억을 가진 이들은 행복하니

, 자네가 나의 청춘이네

돌아보면 내 즐거움과 슬픔 하나하나에

자네가 함께하고 있어

오직 자네를 위해 이 글을 쓰네.

- 에밀 졸라-

 

 

에밀 졸라의 편지에서 볼 수 있듯이 평생을 살아가면서 서로에게 영향을 주고받을 수 있는 사람이 있다는 것만으로도 큰 행운이라고 생각한다. 그 관계가 꼭 아름다운 결말이 아니더라도 충분한 의미가 있다. 예술가에게 있어서 이러한 관계는 무척 중요한 작용을 한다. 그들의 작품에 직·간접적으로 영향을 주고받으며, 인생의 의미를 찾아가는 비밀통로를 서로에게 제공한다. 대표적인 예술가로는 단연코 에밀 졸라 (Émile Zola)와 폴 세잔(Paul Cézanne), 만 레이(Man Ray)와 마르셀 뒤샹(Marcel Duchamp), 루이스 부뉴엘 (Luis Bunuel)와 살바도르 달리(Salvador Dali)라고 할 수 있다. 그들은 수많은 추억을 공유하고 서로의 재능을 누구보다도 먼저 알아보았다. 운명적인 만남이자 후대에게는 큰 선물과도 같은 인연이다. 에밀 졸라가 폴에게 보내는 편지의 내용을 곱씹으면서 자연스럽게 나의 경우는 어떠한지 자문해본다.

 

Q11. 해 련 작가에게 예술적 영감을 주었던 인물이나 특별한 계기가 있었다면 소개해주세요. 더불어 작가에게 회화적 표현에 있어서 가장 큰 영향을 미친 예술가는 누구인지 궁금합니다.

 

A11. 지속적으로 예술로 마음을 더듬으며 정서적표현적 영감을 얻어왔던 것 같습니다. 학창시절, 알베르 까뮈의 이방인으로부터 부조리 감각에 대한 여파가 있었고, 20대에는 릴케의 책 젊은 시인에게 보내는 편지를 통해 내면에 천착 할 수 있었습니다. 그리고 Angel's Share Garden설치 이후, ,아모스 이 챠오(Chang,Amos Ih Tiao)건축공간과 노자사상책을 읽었습니다. 이 시간을 통해 물이 반만 있는 것이 아니라 반이나 있다는 관점으로 세상을 바라볼 수 있게 되었습니다.

 

제게 감동을 주는 수많은 예술작품들이 있었지만 그중에서도 저는 이승택 작가의 바람작품을 굉장히 좋아합니다. 실제 눈으로 보지 못하는 것을 발현하기 위해서는 끊임없이 붉은 천을 잡고 버티며 있어야 하는 인간의 모습이 그려져요. 정서적으로 옻칠 물성과 맞닿아지는 느낌이 강하게 있어 본인의 옻칠작업 보름달에 오마주한 적이 있습니다.

 

본인은 애초부터 내부로부터 작용하여 자율적으로 본다는 것에 대한 관심이 있었기 때문에 시각적 관점에서 정형화된 외형을 깨버리는 해체적이고 가변적 표현방법에 관심을 가지고 있었습니다. 대상을 하나의 시점에서 보지 않았던 큐비즘 작품 중에서 데이비드 호크니(David Hockney), ‘포토콜라주작품이 굉장히 매력적이었는데, 각 시점에서 찍은 사진과 사진 사이에 드러나는 면의 경계를 통해서 외형적으로 결정되지 않은 의식의 무정형 형태로 대상을 자유롭게 투영시키며 바라 볼 수 있기 때문입니다. 이후 프레드 샌드백(Fred Sandback)과 줄리 메레뚜(Julie Mehretu)의 작업으로 부터 선과 면에 대한 표현 요소의 영향을 받았습니다. 프레드 샌드백의 ‘Line’ 작업은 수업 중 교수님 구술을 통해 처음 접했던 지라, 오로지 저의 내적 감각만으로 그의 작업을 바라볼 수 있었는데, 그의 선을 통해서 눈앞의 공간에서 또 다른 세계가 어떤 서사도 없이 열리는 가능성의 공간을 만날 수 있었지요. 제게는 일종의 보이지 않는 문과 같은 역할을 하는 선이었던 것입니다. 그 이후 줄리 메레뚜의 작업에서 플랫한 면과 면, 선과 면, 선과 선을 통해 움직임의 공간을 표현해 낼 수 있다는 것에 주목하였습니다. 선과 면의 조형요소로부터 평면(물질로서의 화면)을 유지하면서도 물리적 한계를 넘어 확장성을 가지는 것입니다. 점에 대한 무한의 개념은 본인의 Angel's Share작업을 통해 접할 수 있었습니다.

 

최근에는 그동안 의식하지 못했지만, 바실리 칸딘스키로부터 지대한 은혜를 입고 있구나!’라는 생각이 차올라, 그의 작품과 저서를 찾아보게 되었습니다. 예술가의 영혼에서 내적필연성이 작동하여 외적인 표현이 드러난다고 한다는 그의 저서예술에서의 정신적인 것에 대해여를 읽으며 많은 부분 교차되는 동질감이 있었습니다. 그의 작품을 이전과 달리 더 깊이 들여다 볼 수 있었고 그에게 경의를 표하게 됩니다.

 

 

내가 숲 속으로 들어간 것은 인생을 의도적으로 살아보기 위해서였다.

다시 말해서 인생의 본질적인 사실들만을 직면해보려는 것이었으며,

인생이 가르치는 바를 내가 배울 수 있는지 알아보고자 했던 것이며,

그리하여 마침내 죽음을 맞이했을 때

내가 헛된 삶을 살았구나 하고 깨닫는 일이 없도록 하기 위해서였다.

- 헨리 데이비드 소로 (Henry David Thoreau) -

 

헨리가 인생을 의도적으로 살아보기 위해서 숲 속으로 들어간 것처럼 나 또한 언제나 새로운 얼굴로 만날 수 있는 미술작품을 마음껏 감상할 수 있는 삶을 선택했다. 그리 짧지 않은 인생을 살아오면서 수많은 흔적들로 뒤덮인 과거의 길을 돌이켜보니 참담한 심정이다. ‘그래도 여기까지 걸어왔구나.’라고 내 자신을 위로해 보지만, 사실 완전히 길을 잃어버린 순간들이 얼마나 많았는가! 더욱이 시련의 고통은 급류처럼 내 온 영육을 휘감듯이 순식간에 다가와 사라지고를 반복했다. 그러나 시련의 고통은 앞으로도 지속되리니 과거에서 미래로 끊임없는 시간 여행을 하는 나에게 휴식 같은 멈춰진 시간을 선물하고 싶다.

특별히 멈춰진 시간에는 그저 시선에만 작용하는 풍경이 아닌, 깊은 지각을 요구하며 내 전부를 사로잡는 풍경과 만나고 싶다. 그것은 오직 작품을 감상할 때만 가능한 일이다.

 

Q12. 해 련 작가의 작업에 대한 계획은 언제나 흥미롭습니다. 특히 한 화면에 사계를 복합적으로 담아내는 작업은 오직 회화가 아니라면 불가능한 표현이라고 생각합니다.

회화가 감각의 표현으로서 그 존재 의의를 가질 수 있다는 것을 증명이라도 하는 것처럼 구상적인 것으로부터 형상을 끌어내는 방식에서 작가의 무의식이 얼마나 중요한 요소로 작용하는지 알 수 있는 작품이 될 것이라 기대됩니다. 물론 작가의 모더니즘과 포스트모더니즘의 회화적 양상을 모두 드러내는 작품을 이해하기에 난이도가 있지만, 바로 그 지점에서 해 련 작가의 실험과 도전 의지가 느껴지며, 기대와 응원의 박수를 보내는 이유이기도 합니다.

마지막 질문입니다. 회화를 통해서 경험하는 작가의 삶은 어떠했는지, 그리고 작가의 삶을 통해서 표현된 회화는 어떠할지 궁금합니다.

 

A12. 삶의 근원적 의미와 가치에 대한 고민과 함께 작업이 시작되었기 때문에 내면 의식의 성장을 토대로 이제는 나 자신뿐만 아니라 세계의 모습을 좀 더 이해 할 수 있게 된 것 같습니다. 작업을 통한 삶은 인생에 비밀의 문을 여는 열쇠가 아니었나 싶습니다. 회화를 통해 마음으로 작동하는 시간과 공간의 경험을 다시 할 수 있었고, 내면에 존재하는 신을 만날 수 있었습니다. 한 사람의 세계는 자신 내부의 근원, 한 마음에서부터 움직이는 것이라고 이해하면 될 것 같습니다. 현실의 다양한 부정적 요소에도 불구하고 우연의 순간을 필연으로 만드는 것은 오로지 근원의 한 마음에서부터 시작되어 일어나는 일이니까요.

 

작가와 작품의 관계에서 작가의 마음에는 다음의 숙제들이 생기게 되는데 그것은 부모가 명이 다하기 전까지 품안의 자식에 대해 마음의 끈을 놓지 못하는 것처럼 창작자의 원죄가 아닌가 합니다. 어느 누가 대신 해결해 줄 수 없는, 본인 스스로 만든 꿈과 자유, 선물의 여정 속에서 스스로 짊어진 숙제를 책임져야만 하는 일은 삶의 문을 통과하는 일이겠지요. 한 세계의 항해자로 내가 선장이라면 회화를 작업이나 작품이라 볼 때 회화는 내면의 보고에서 더 나아가 망망한 바다위에서 바람을 타고 나아 갈 수 있는 방향성을 가진 돛이 되어 주는 것이 아닐까 합니다.